Thursday, February 17, 2011

Wardrobe Malfunction

Swim Day

1 x 150- Warm-up
2 x 300
2 x 500
2 x 400

total- 2550yds

To start with, I forgot my watch at home today and the gym pool has one clock, on a far wall, which is not well lit and hard enough to see in the daytime, let alone in the early morning darkness. So while I wrote the sets to include time standards, I'm almost positive I didn't make them and have no idea how far off I was. This is annoying.
Also annoying- I bought a new suit Tuesday because with all the swimming I'm doing now I'm pretty sure my other suit will be eaten through by May if it has to work every day. After some trying on and debate I went with a very comfortable Nike short trunk. They fit great and I was looking forward to swimming in them. Yeah, well they don't swim great. I bought "Look nice on the beach" trunks, not functional trunks. They have no tie, which should have been a clue, but the fit was so snug against my waist I didn't think it would be an issue. Wrong. No tie, snug fit or not, means I'm either not pushing off the wall as hard as I would like or I'm doing quick adjustments before everyone gets waaay more out of their swim than they anticipated when they got to the gym. This screwed up each end of every lap. If it had been Tuesday, Sprint Day remember, I'd have been screwed and pissed. So I ended up not swimming as fast because it felt like my trunks were making like a stripper paid by the hour. I'm not naked yet...but its coming. So I spent money on sun bathing trunks. Which is great if I wanted to go out for Jersey Shore: North Shore Edition. Luckily, I have another pair at home that I wasn't swimming in because *section redacted by wife*.
I love being early to the pool because it means I get the middle lane. The middle lane is nice because the old ladies that bounce and float around will avoid it. If I'm forced to use either side lane I have to play Dodge the Non-Swimmer/Struggling Swimmer. These women (always women, I'm not being sexist) will park in on the wall where I'm putting my feet for a flip turn or aqua-aerobic right into my stroke path. This morning that wasn't an issue because, like I said, I got the middle lane. Did feel bad for the girl who showed up near the end of my set who looked like she really was trying to swim and had to deal with the obstacles.
Also bought clear goggles. These are wonderful. I've known I needed them for months and haven't gotten around to grabbing a pair. Finally did and I can see! My other pair have a light tint, but its enough to make seeing my sets and my watch kind of hard. Also, races start at dawn and clears will make the whole "seeing where I'm going" thing much easier. So I've got that going for me.
Lastly, yes these were some boring ass sets. But they will be good for me. Gotta mix it up some, I know, but days like this are needed too.

Run Day

time- 30min
dist- 3.33mi

Ok, I'm happy with this pace. I know it's not blazing, but it felt like a good run. Especially because when I got home I committed the cardinal sin of sitting on the couch for a few minutes before changing to run. Nothing zaps your will to workout like a few minutes on the couch after a long day at work. But I fought through that shit, talking to myself the whole time, got it together and had a surprisingly good run.
Yay for rest day tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment