Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Trying to Go Fast

Swim Day

1 x 150- Warm-up
5 x 100- 1:30
1 x 50- Easy
4 x 200- 3:00
1 x 50- Easy
1 x 100- All Out
1 x 100- Cool down

total- 1750yds

Hard swim today, but I got all my sets done under my time standard. One or two more swims like this and that standard drops to 1:25. Shocked myself with how quick I felt early in that 100 set and how long I was able to hold a good stroke. Even the 200 set went well. By three and four I felt like, "Oof, I'm going to be pushing this time standard." But I wasn't. Had at least ten seconds most of the time. Good feeling.
And that final 100? 1:09. Not as fast as I've ever been, but very not bad for an end of the workout.

Run Day

time- 24:30
distance- 2.83mi

Ran hard today. Foot got a little sore towards the end. No pain, just sore. And, like I've said, I'm paranoid. Probably took a little off when that happened. Oh well, still a decent run for me. Hanging around a nine minute mile, which is slow in general but good for the Dirtbag right now. I'm pushing these runs, trying to get times down. Ideally, I'll be getting three miles in under 25 minutes easily by training's end. That way, even with a fade, I'm still doing the six in under an hour. There's the goal. 8:30/mi is the big goal, but six miles under 60 at the end of an Olympic tri is a good goal too, I think. Knowing me.

1 comment:

  1. Speed training (over 800m and 1600m) will do a lot for the body's "go fast" neuromuscular coordination. Also, try a 10x100 all outs on 45-85s rest (longer as you get tired). Basically you have to teach the body 1) to go fast and 2) to work at AT.

    Just mix them into your run days after that next event; drills are the heart of your training early in a race prep program.

    ReplyDelete