Saturday, February 26, 2011

Excuse Me, I Just Fartleked

Run Day
time- 50min
distance- 5.5mi

Today was my first experiment with a type of running called "fartlek". Since every article, blog, and write-up about fartlek running begins with a definition of this very silly sounding term, I must not break the chain. The Running Police will come after me. And they will catch me. Unless I'm in a vehicle.
Fartlek is Swedish for speed play. Fartlek runs are variable speed runs, but without the rigid structure of intervals. It's more along the lines of, "Ok, now I'm going to run as hard as I can to that sign 100 yards away." Then you do, then you recover while running just below average speed, then you do it again. So fartlek runs can be as easy or as difficult as the runner would like them to be. I went for difficult. And it was for me.
I started out with ten minutes at a good pace, warming up the legs and lungs. Then I alternated the next thirty minutes with spring, jogs, and runs, fartleking my way down the road and back. The sprints actually got easier for a while there, but I was still blowing wind at the end of each one. Moreso than my normal interval runs, you are really supposed to try and explode for a shorter amount of time here. So I did. And I felt it. Also turned it on every incline, so I would sprint and climb at the same time. Feel the burn! Grrr.
For my last ten minutes I tried to hold the pace from the first ten. I failed, but not too badly. I am definitely trying this again. Its strange, but now I feel like my run is my weakest of the three disciplines. I'm not fast on the bike, but running seems harder to me. Like finding my Fast on my feet will take a longer time.
Ordered Profile Design T2+ aerobars yesterday from amazon, looking forward to getting my hands on those. They will make me look so much faster. Dirtbag Woosh!

No comments:

Post a Comment