Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Racing the Sun

Swim Day

1 x 150- Warm-up
6 x 100- 1:30
1 x 50- Easy
4 x 200- 3:00
1 x 50- Easy
1 x 200- All out
1 x 100- Cool down

total- 1950yds

It was all about the sprint day today. It was also all about getting mentally tough. Workouts after a significant event like the Great Aloha Run are tough because I feel like I've done this big thing and now I deserve a break. But I didn't and I don't. The GAR took me an hour and twenty minutes. I got up at 3:30am, but had a nap. If yesterday had been a normal day I would have swum at 4:45am for around a half hour and then ridden 15.5mi, at least 50 minutes. Time is equal. Effort levels actually might have been higher had I done Monday's normal workout. And I wouldn't have had the nap. So I had to talk myself into the morning swim today, but with this irrefutable evidence I only argued with myself for a few minutes before crawling from bed. I make good points. I hate that.
As I detailed in my GAR post, since I ran Monday, the rest of this week is flipped. So today should be a run but its Monday's ride instead, and so on.
I made all my time standards this morning, some by a wide margin. I would drop the standards but by the fifth and sixth 100 I start fading hard and am only getting five or seven seconds rest. Nailed the 200s the same way. Stroke is keeping together longer without going to pieces too, which is great news. As I keep saying, the key to a strong swim is strong technique. That last 200 at the end was a 2:40, which means I split the 100s at 1:20 if there was no fade, which there was. Call it 1:15/1:25. Maybe 1:17/1:23. High school me hates this time. It feels slow. Current me isn't thrilled but is quietly happy. It's well under a 1:30 pace and I can build on it. To hit a 2:40 200 at the end of 1650yds is nothing to scoff at, and bodes well for my swim.
I have a meeting after school today, which will zap my will to live. Gotta fight through that shit.

Ride Day

time- 55min
distance- 15.7mi

Today felt excellent. Legs were freshy-fresh, which shocked the hell out of me considering I Great Aloha Ran yesterday. Felt quick though, good cadence. My meeting meant that I was racing the sun during my ride, trying to get it in before it got too dark.
The sun won. Bastard cheats. Went downhill the whole time.

No comments:

Post a Comment