Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Oof

Swim Day

1 x 150- Warm-up
Ladder
200- 3:00
300- 4:30
400- 6:00
500- 7:30
400- 6:00
300- 4:30
200- 3:00
1 x 100- Cool down

total- 2550yds

I fell off pace hard at the first 400 and never really got my groove back. Guess I need to watch that movie about Stella again. I'm not sure why, but I couldn't pick up the pace today. I was all right at the start, but once I got lost I got really lost. I was never too far off my goal time, but I did miss it for both 400s and the 500. And then I got confused about if I was starting the next one on the :30 or on the :00 even though I knew when I set off...it was just a mess.
So I swam hard but this was not a great workout. The positive I take away from it was I managed to pull my stroke back together every time it started to go, and got some really good, strong laps of quality freestyle in. Really digging in, anchoring that hand, and climbing over with good shoulder rotation and a decent turn-over rate.
I can't race at this speed, but a few workouts like this won't kill me. Need to pick up the pace. I keep telling myself that it'll come.
Stomach got a little gassy during the swim too. I will blame some of the speed problems on this. And those bubbles during flip turns...

Run Day

time- 35 minutes
distance- 4.1mi

Ever have one of those runs where you go out and a few minutes in your brain manages to gasp out, "You know, I think we might be going a little bit fast," but your legs ignore your brain because what does it know anyway? That was today. My legs knew what was going on but they wanted to see where it would take me.
Well, let's fast-forward, shall we?
Minute 17- Turn-around point. Feeling all right, but breathing heavy
Minute 24- Starting to think maybe I should be cooling off more than I'm naturally fading. Also starting to wish it would rain just a little.
Minute 27- Thinking I am not finishing at anywhere near this pace and in fact am feeling somewhat ill
Minute 30- I need to slow way down now or I'm going to hurl into the grass. So I do.
I finish at a much much much slower pace than I set out. This, ladies and gentlemen, is a perfect example of poor pacing. It also taught me a valuable lesson about how hard and far I can push before I feel that sick. A feeling which, by the way, is only now starting to fade. I'm actually proud of my pace and my distance, and I need to be smarter about how I split my run, but just over four miles in 35 minutes is, for me, not too shabby.
Now, I will sit very still on the couch and wait to feel Dirtbag Strong again.

No comments:

Post a Comment