Monday, March 7, 2011

To The Bone

Swim Day

1 x 150- Warm-up
5 x 200- (100-5, 7, 9/100- stroke focus)
3 x 300- 4:30
4 x 25- Stroke count reduce by 2 each 25
1 x 100- Cool down
total- 2250yds

The race has refocused me in the water. I realize I was tenth out of the water overall, but my pace was 1:27/100. This is unacceptable to my swim alter-ego, The Tattooed Wake. Must hold a faster pace, even in the mosh-pit traffic of a mass start. I have to get out in the front group, where there is space, and then I need to hold that position. You can't win a triathlon in the water, but you can make the people behind you earn that pass on the bike. And if I can keep improving my bike, well, that puts me that much further ahead of the fast runners.
I meant to make the 300 set a Pull set, but I forgot my paddles at home. So instead I tried to focus on pumping it. And the stroke count 25s went 15, 13, 11, 9. That first one is really high, too high, and the last is fun to do but not fast. Good exercise in stroke lengthening though. Should be around 13 strokes per lap.

Cycle Day
distance- 15.5mi

This ride started out so nice. The clouds were there, but on the horizon. I got on base, chugged around, kept a decent cadence, and was on my way home when they started. The droplets. Oh no. I cast my eyes to the sky and those clouds off on the horizon are now hovering about 100 yards down the road. I stop, take my bike computer off and stick it in the plastic bag I keep in my back pocket for just such an occasion, and get to it. BAM! Soaked. Pouring as hard as I've ever been rained on. Sucks. Speed drops because the road is slick, visibility has dropped, and I don't trust drivers. The ride goes from a nice paced workout to I want to get home now. It was supposed to be 18.5 miles but I cut that last three miles off. Wasn't worth the hammering rain.
Hope it doesn't rain during the run.

No comments:

Post a Comment