Monday, March 28, 2011

At Least Its Recovery Week

Today was supposed to be a swim/cycle day. Not so much.
First, my alarm clock decided not to go off, just like last Monday. So I woke up in time to get ready for my doctor's appointment instead of in time to swim and then get ready. Lame. Lame lame lame. I like swimming.
Then, this afternoon, I set out on an easy 12 mile recovery ride and noticed that my seat was slightly crooked, causing discomfort. So I stopped and tried to fix it. This, naturally, made it worse and somehow lowered the seat height all the way. So instead of finishing my ride I got to ride home feeling like my knees were pounding my chest. Easy fix with an Allen wrench, and I got the sizing right on the first try, but still irritating. At least it is recovery week.
Also, on the doctor visit: I get kidney stones. My body is a quarry. My last one was in December on Christmas day camping in New Zealand. Needless to say, any time I get a lower back twinge I get paranoid. Also, I have regular check-ups with the urologist to check me out. This was a follow-up to look at a ultrasound they took Friday to see what was going on in there. Let me tell you, you do not want to hear your urologist say, "The ultrasound picture, if you'll look right here, says there is a 16mm stone in your right kidney. I'm going to send you up to x-ray to get a better look." For comparison, the one I passed in NZ was about 4mm. 16 is much more. There is no passing this, this is surgery. Luckily, the x-ray revealed nothing of the sort and my doctor said he chalks it up to the ultrasound not being very exact. He also said that the x-ray was hard to read because of "stomach gases". I swear I thought I got those out in the car on the way there. Ask my wife. She knows. So, while I'm sure there are still tiny little time bombs floating around in my kidneys there is no massive boulder waiting to make like an Indiana Jones movie. This is a good thing. Mostly.
Tomorrow will be a better recovery day. I have set two alarms.

No comments:

Post a Comment