Monday, April 4, 2011

I'm Not Aero

Swim Day

1 x 150- Warm-up
5 x 150- Pull
5 x 200- 100-5, 7, 9/100- stroke focus
1 x 400- Strong
1 x 100- Cool down

total- 2400yds

Had some trouble with the 5, 7, 9 this morning. I think it was because I was working the second hundred hard so the heart rate was up, somewhat decreasing oxygen efficiency. Or I'm weak sauce sometimes. One of the two. Still, the swim was good. I'm at the point in my training now where I think my swim distances are going to drop off significantly over the next few weeks as I start putting more energy towards the bike or run workout at the end of the day. My swim isn't going to be the fastest out of everyone, but it will get me out of the water in the front third or better. I need to get strong enough to hold that position now.

Bike Day

distance - 27.51mi
time- ?

At some stop or another I forgot to restart my watch, then at the next stop I started it, and so on, so my time was all screwed up by the time I realized what was going on. It wasn't as fast as it should have been, let's put it that way.
Today was my first ride with aerobars on and, well, I can see how it will make me faster. It feels faster being in that position. But I am in no way aero yet. Like I mentioned in the post where I mounted the bars, my seat-to-bar drop is non-existent. I didn't think it would be that big of a deal. It will be. I can totally tell as soon as I get leaned over. My seat is too far back, causing my shoulder/body angle to be obtuse rather that right, which means my upper arm/lower arm angle is also more open than it should be. Figuring out how to get the bars lower, which will happen tomorrow and which I should be able to do (there are spacers and I can flip the stem if I need to, good call Cycle Dirtbag), and the seat pushed a few mm forward should make a bunch of difference. And if I can't seem to get it dialed in then Friday I'll head to IT&B and say, "Halp! I tried to make my bike faster and now it doesn't fit and I don't know what I'm doing." They'll hook me up. Rather do it myself though.
But because I was thinking about how off the fit seemed and because I was getting used to the aerobars and the incredible way my wrist has to stretch to get flat (which hurts now but should get better), and because I stopped twice to fiddle/tighten/adjust, I don't feel like I had all that great of a workout. It was more of a test ride. I need to start pushing these. Gotta find that Fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment