Thursday, April 7, 2011

Trying To Go

Swim Day

1 x 150- Warm-up
4 x 200- 3:00
1 x 50- easy
1 x 400- 6:00
5 x 100- 1, 2, 3, swim drill
3 x 50- Sideline kick drill
1 x 100- Cool down

total- 2150yds

I'm trying out some drills I found on a triathlon website. The 1, 2, 3, Swim drill is something that I used to do in high school and had since forgotten about. One means my hands are fists except for one finger extended, two means two fingers, and you get the idea. The drill's point is to improve feel for the water and to teach me to use my forearm as well as my hand. And that last lap always feels excellent with an open hand. Feels strong.
Sideline kick means one arms extended like I was rotated at the top of a stroke, shoulders and hips vertical in the water, flutter kicking. This improves body rotation, which in turn improves stroke length and efficiency. This is important even if I'm not working long distances.
Drills, I think, are going to become more and more important as I get closer to race day. Better to make Dirtbag the Tattooed Wake.

Run Day

time- 53 minutes
distance- 5.97mi

First, I was sure that this run was six miles. I know, I know, that distance practically is six miles. But its isn't actually six miles. Damnit. Run felt ok, pace was off the whole time. I was slower than normal. Not too much slower, but slower. I think part of that was I had an all day meeting today. Which means that there was snacks sitting in front of me all day. Which I may have had my fair share of because sometimes my impulse control sucks. And this, I think, gave me some Dirtbag Gas during my run. Releaving said gas is great once, ok twice, but after that is get annoying and uncomfortable. Needless to say, I'm glad I run alone.

I know yesterday was supposed to be a ride day and I'd planned to make up my swim too. But we got locked out of the house the night previous resulting in a less-than-ideal bedtime. So no swim. And after work I felt like I needed a rest day. It just felt like one of those days. My left knee was still sore, my left ankle felt funny. I wanted to not work out. So Sexy Wife and I went to see Source Code instead. If you've seen it we need to talk. I have issues.
As of right now I'm icing my left knee because it tightened up on me right after my run ended. No pain, just tight. The ice bag then alternates to my left foot, which also feels like it could use some ice. Should just figure out an affordable way to take an ice bath after workouts. That would show these pesky joints.

No comments:

Post a Comment