Monday, April 18, 2011

Drill and Kill

Swim Day

1 x 150- Warm-up
5 x 100- 1, 2, 3, Swim
3 x 200- 100- Stroke count 15/100- fast
3 x 50- Sideline kick
4 x 100- IM
1 x 400- Hard
1 x 100- Cool down

total- 2300yds

Ok, I'm not thrilled with yesterday's swim time. A race report is still forthcoming, but sneak preview: my swim pace was 1:40/100yds (I assume it was yds)! When I workout I swim on a 1:30/100 pace. What the hell happened yesterday? I think a big part of it was the mosh pit that is a mass mens start. I had to pop up a few times to find my way around people and there was plenty of bumping, grabbing, and splashing. So I have an excuse for a slow pace, since the first 200yds weren't open swimming. But it still bugs me. Excuses suck.
Today, though, wasn't about making up that speed. I have a plan and I'm sticking to it. Monday's are stroke work. I need to get longer and smoother, hence the sideline kick sets and the stroke counts. When it comes time to race I won't be counting strokes but the more I do the stroke count sets the more that rhythm will get into the natural stroke. Really focusing on getting my shoulder to my chin and keeping my elbow high at the extension and the catch.
The IM sets are feeling better and better as well. With no knee pain during the whip kick and a strong but still too slow turnover in back I remember how much I enjoyed IMs. This summer there are four open water swims and if we're on island for any I think I'll spend the money to register. It will be fun and good for my tris (That was a swimmer joke! Who got it?).

Ride Day

time- 1:25
distance- 30mi

Kicked ass on my ride today. Good pace, solid cadence even on heavy gears. I rode from home all the way in to Honolulu, so much of the ride was downhill in some way, shape, or form. Not big time zooming downhill, but in a slight way. After all, I do live on the highest point on the island. Everything is downhill from here. But I was still riding hard. Aero positioning feels better every time I get down into it. I know I'm still not perfect, my seat is still too low I think and my shoulders aren't as on top of my elbows as they should be, but its closer. It feels faster.
One of the nice parts about this ride was part of it was done along the same road I'll be riding during the Honolulu Tri next month. This road feels fast. It's flat and smooth. I was in heavy gears and my quads were working. Speedo was reading anywhere from 21 to 24mph. Smoking. I realize that if I'm able to generate that kind of speed there the real fast guys are going to be cooking by, but I don't care. I'll be attacking on my own.
Dirtbag positive about his riding today.

No comments:

Post a Comment