Monday, April 11, 2011

Cranking It Out

Swim Day

1 x 150- Warm-up
3 x 50- Sideline kick
4 x 200- Stroke count (15 or less)
4 x 100- IM
5 x 100- 1, 2, 3, Swim

total- 2000yds

Not the hardest swim I've ever laid down, but I do think the drill did their work nicely. The goal of those sideline kick drills is to get me swimming laterally in the water, really stretching the top of my stroke and getting my shoulders around. Going from that in to the 200s with a stroke count went well. I kept a decent pace and I felt like my strokes were long and strong. I was right about 15 stroke per lap for nearly the whole set, rising to 16 or 17 a few times when I started swimming a little harder at the end.
The IM was fun. My fly actually didn't feel like seven pieces of crap, which I expected. I value my butterfly, having been a flyer in high school and in college (a little, where I sucked compared to everyone else). Backstroke is lame and I'm not sure my still sore knees appreciated the torque that comes with the breaststroke's whip kick. Still good. And the 1, 2, 3, Swim drill has me feeling the water and gripping it strongly. Low yardage, but quality yards.

Ride Day

time- 1:49
distance- 27mi

Ok, not the fastest 27 miles ever. In fact, I'm not all that pleased with my time. But I did hit Kolekole Hill in just under 15 minutes, which is good. Especially because it felt slow. I haven't done that climb in what feels like a long time, so it was good to get up it again.
I don't know, I just don't feel as strong as I would like on the bike. Even as strong as I had been feeling. Its probably because I haven't had good, consistent rides recently. But I feel like by this point in my training my quads should be kick ass. They should be Engines of Destruction. And they aren't. They get me where I'm going, sure, but not like I would like. I make myself feel better by being reminded that I just completed the base building section of my training and the next few weeks are speedwork and quality. So now I need to be pounding out fast intervals and hitting it hard. My quads feel pretty cooked right this minute. Make me strong. Also feeling better down on the Aerobars of Chaos. Still not sure if I'm actually more aero, should ask Super Awesome Sexy Wife to take some pictures of me.
I was starving today after my ride. Had a burger and fries, then was hungry again an hour later and had a bagel. Guess that means it was a good workout day.
Saw this sign at the top of Kolekole Pass today during my ride. Here's the thing, I has just ridden up the road that was supposedly closed for the Live Fire Exercise. There was no sign at the bottom, I checked. Only a sign at the top. These are the joys of riding on a military base. I didn't get shot. I did ride down the hill as fast as I could.

No comments:

Post a Comment