Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Ve Vill Svim!

Swim Day
Suggested Distance- 600yds

1 x 100yds Warm-up
4 x 50yds 3, 5, 7, 9 stroke-to-breath rate
3 x 300- 4:30
1 x 100 Cool down
Total yardage- 1300yds

Good swim workout today. I was making the 300's, which were my main set, obviously, with just under ten seconds to spare each time. That feels strange for me right now, because it doesn't sound like much rest. But back when I was swimming competitively ten seconds rest was a godsend. It was an eternity. I'd be happy to get five seconds on the wall. So I'm mentally readjusting to that. I got the 4:30 time standard by using a 1:30/100yds base, which has been working out pretty well for me. I'm getting some rest, but not much, and working hard, really having to push to make it.
My stroke is starting to come back too. Multiple times this swim I would take a series of strokes that felt perfect. My body position in the water was right, my elbow was high, I got a good dig and set with my hand and forearm, and I pulled myself over my hand rather than pulling my hand back through the water. That these instances are happening more frequently bodes well for the swim leg of the race. I'm barely kicking, less than I used to, because I need to depend on my stroke an upper body in the water. The legs will have enough to do later. But I'm not doing pull sets, and won't do many the whole training cycle, because that'll screw with my body position. Every once in a while I'll throw one in, just like I'll do a few kick sets, but it won't be a major focus. That's not to say I won't kick at all during the race, that would be silly. I also think I should do a few more open water swims. The race takes place in a series of lagoons, so its not like I'll be exposed to waves like a real open water swim, but it won't be pool swimming either.
Tomorrow is the ride up the mountain and my legs are reminding me of the lunges from yesterday, though not as bad as I thought they would. Guess that means I should be doing more. Better to hurt now than hurt on October 24th.

Post script: Oh yeah, I went to the doctor for a regular check up today and after declaring me a fine specimen of health and masculinity she got all generic doctor on me and said I need to be sure I'm exercising regularly. She said a half hour walk every day would work. So now I guess I have to do that on top of all this too. Sheesh, it's really hard to be fit.

1 comment: