Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Wherein I Talk to My Body

Ride Day (Monday)
distance- 30mi
time- 1:32

Swim Day (today)
1 x 150- Warm-up
5 x 200- 3:00
5 x 50- Sideline Kick
5 x 100- 50- 5, 7, 9/ 50- stroke count
1 x 500- long
total- 2400yds

Run Day (today)
time- 31min

This morning in the water my body felt pretty tight during warm-up. But I have learned never to trust the first five minutes of a workout. Once everything loosens up things tend to go better. And that kind of happened. I made it through the first three 200s before my body said, "Hey, could you cool it a second?"
"Sure," I said. "What's up?"
"You remember this last weekend? When we powered through a 2.3 mile open water swim?" asked my body.
"Oh yeah. You were great. Why?"
My body shrugged. "Ya see, we still kinda feel that. I know we're super Dirtbag tough and all that stuff you and Brain write about ad nauseam, but, uhhh..."
"What?" I demanded.
"Boss, I'm kinda beat. And I don't think the workout you have planned for this am is going to go very well." I had a great big workout planned. 3900 yards. "I would really appreciate it if you would reconsider."
I thought about my body's request over the next two 200s, watching myself slip closer and closer to not making the time. After missing my time standard by five seconds on the final 200 of the set I gave in. So this week has become a sort of recovery week. Monday was a great ride. Real powerful, I feel like my legs are coming back. And my run, since it was post-conversation, was pretty kick back. I know this isn't ideal. I haven't had a bombed out run yet. That'll come. Running is third on the list right now. I'll probably try to be chill with my workouts the rest of this week, but come Saturday I need to stack the miles. Time to do some more reading on nutrition on the go to keep energy levels up during the long stretches of training rides.

No comments:

Post a Comment