Tuesday, August 9, 2011

A Little Courson in Me

Swim Day

1x 150- Warm-up
5 x 200- 3:00
2 x 500- 7:30
5 x 50- Sideline kick
5 x 100- 1, 2, 3, Swim
3 x 300- 4:30
1 x 100- Cool Down
1 x 50- Underwater
total- 3950yds

Big yardage swim today. Felt good though. I made every single time standard solidly except the second 300 at the end, which I made at 4:31. So I hit the wall, checked my watched, took time to curse quietly, and was off again. Made the third 300.
On both the 200 and 500 set I was getting around ten seconds rest, which is solid and a great confidence builder. I'm trying to decided how much emphasis to put on my swims now that I have the century coming up. The Waikiki Rough Water is also nearing, and is earlier in September, so I don't think I can really let off the gas in the pool. Which means there will be slack in my runs. Those are going o be shorter and a little more neglected for the next two months. Need to be working it in the water and stacking miles on the bike. The only run I've got coming up is the Ko'Olina Sprint Tri in October and I'll be ready for that 5k no problem. Its not like I'm going to stop running. I just might keep it at twice a week, while making the swims and rides three times a week.
And that 50yd underwater at the end? Some teens were challenging each other to try and make it across once without coming up and failing. It made me get a little Courson and I quietly sucked some wind, cooled my mind out, and went for the deuce. No problem. That's The Way.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent workout! I signed up for the rough water swim too. I did my longest swim today (3800 meters... pretty much the distance of the RWS). I am just a (an old) beginner triathlete so it will be the first time for me. i am also doing the ko'olina tri. I notice that you are a barefoot runner (VFF). while I am not a BF I do use minimalist running shoes... mostly my NB Minimus Trail shoes. Sometimes my Saucony Kinvaras... ok, I know, purists may not give me a pass on the kinvaras.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Minimus are great shoes, my wife has a pair for wearing around and loves them. I'm a huge fan of the VFFs, and if I find a good deal on a pair of the Minimus or Road Gloves I'll end up with those too. The Kinvaras aren't true minimalist, but are still so much better than the regular boat anchors.
    I'll see you at the RWS and Ko'Olina!

    ReplyDelete