Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Stronger Through Failure

Swim Day

1 x 200 Warm-up
4 x 150 Pull- 2:15
5 x 400- 6:00
1 x 100 BCY Kick
1 x 150 Cool down
Total yards- 3050

Hard swim today. That main set is a long bastard. Will be good for the race though. Spent the whole swim visualizing how I'm going to race, what my stroke needs to be, how I'll compensate for the mass of bodies around me, and what kind of pace I need to set. I think the pack will spread out early. Looking at other sprint tris, this swim is much longer than normal for a race of this length. I think that plays in my favor because the swim has got to be my strongest discipline now. And, from what I hear, its normally a triathlete's weakest. So if I can get in the front third of the group within a few lagoons I think I'll have room to stretch and breathe.
This was the first workout where I failed to make my time standard. Made the first three 400s on increasingly close times, and then four I came in on the 6:05. Damn. Deep breath and I was off again, determined to make up that time and come in under six on the last one. Yeah, not going to happen. I was feeling it in my shoulders and arms, my stroke fell apart (had been falling apart as the set progressed, the pull set prior didn't help), and I think I did the last one in 6:40 or some slow time like that. But it was a lot of swimming and I felt strong afterwards. The ego enjoyed the pump my shoulders, arms, lats, and chest were feeling as I got out of the water. Gotta get my stroke together for longer.
Tomorrow is the biggest brick yet. So big the training guide has me skip the run Thursday. Should be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment