Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Taper Intensity

Swim Day
1 x 150- Warm-up
2 x 250- 4:00
1 x 500- 7:30
2 x 300- 4:30
1 x 200- 3:00
1 x 100- Cool down
total- 2050yds

Run day
time- 30 minutes
distance-?

Ok, so I lied yesterday. I said that Tuesday (today) would be the intense run day and Thursday would be the intense swim day. Then I looked at the plan for those days and decided to switch it up. So today I cranked my swim and cruised the run.
And you know what? I'm happier with this swim than I have been in a while. I made all my time standards, my stroke felt strong, and it was pretty good. I'm mentally focusing on the finish on the stroke, getting my shoulder to my chin, and getting that elbow high for a good grab.
I got an artificial boost early in the workout when I was nailing the 250 and getting tons of rest. "Hell yeah," I thought, "I'm killin' it." OR I had given myself more time that normal. if you guess the latter you would be correct. Never the less, by the time I realized that I was well in to the 500 and shrugged it off. I'm trying to prepare mentally for surviving the mosh pit start and finding some clear water to get my stroke working. The key to my swim will be not getting bogged down early and being right behind the lead group. I won't be with them, but I should be able to be in the front of the first chase group. Then sticking to my stroke cadence and length, and bringing a good finishing kick to the last quarter.
I decided to run without my Dirtbag Distance Determining Device today for two reasons. One, this is taper week and I was on high cruise, so I don't care. Two, it was pouring right before I left on my run and strapping my phone to my arm in the rain seems stupid. The Weather Gods did smile upon me however. I had gotten my shorts and toe shoes on and was ready to rock when the skies opened and a torrent of rain poured forth. Damn, its going to be a wet one today. Then the wife came home so I walked her inside and she gave me a space pen that writes upside down and underwater for Teacher Appreciation Day (Week? I should know this.). Very cool. And by the time I was done playing astronaut the clouds had either rained themselves out or moved on to soak someone else's run. Off I trotted. Big run happy for today was it was perfectly split. I turned around at 15:00 and arrived back at my house at 30:23. Can't get much closer than that. There was no heavy breathing or pain involved, this is not my hard run for the week, yet this still pleases the Dirtbag.
Tomorrow will be the high intensity ride for the week. I hope the rain stays away.

No comments:

Post a Comment