Thursday, May 5, 2011

Blaming Children and Finding Fuel

Swim Day
1 x 1000- Swim
total- 1000yds...duh

Run Day
time- 45 minutes
effort- hard

This is Teacher Appreciation Week. Today at my school, this meant it was Dessert Day. Oh...good. Children bringing me brownies. Cookies and chocolate in the lunch room. Great. It's a good thing that when confronted with such spoils I exhibit strong self-control. Meaning that I only ate two brownies and a couple of cookies (They had M&Ms on them! Unfair!) This is not helpful during taper time.

Anyway, I did a nice easy grand in the water this morning. My only goal was to stretch it out and maintain a nice stroke. Didn't even bring my watch.
My run today was the intense run for the week and I nailed it. I didn't think I was going to have the power. We've been practicing for a May Day performance at school tomorrow and I spent a ton of time out in the sun with my kids. Burned me out. But I nailed the run. Not sure of the distance because rain was threatening/falling and I didn't want to soak my Dirtbag Distance Determining Device.
I think I found some fuel to use when my resolve starts to slip. I had the haka in my head during the run today and I think it helped. The Haka is the dance Maori warriors did before going in to battle to geek themselves up and to scare the crap out of the other side. It works. Now the NZ All Blacks do it prior to every game. It still works. I'm going to have this saved in my head so when I start to feel weak and need that boost, I'll be playing this clip. Hell yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment