Sunday, May 8, 2011

It Looks Like the Rain Stopped...No, No It Didn't

Ride Day
time- 1:44
distance- approx. 30mi

It poured all morning today and I thought I was going to have to suffer through a session on the stationary bike at the gym. But the weather started to clear around 1:30 so I decided to go for it. It wasn't that bad. Better than going to the gym and wanting to kill myself for ninety minutes.
I didn't much very much in to this ride. I went down to Haleiwa, around, then back up Pineapple Hill. It must be a good thing that I can now get up PH without too much exertion. Sure, I have to work, but if I'm not trying to speed demon it up I now have a climbing cruise. I did get up out of the saddle a few times on the climb to take some of the strain off. That felt good and while I can't stand and pound for an entire climb it is a good tool to have in my slowly growing arsenal. It rained on and off for most of the ride. Not massive soaking downpour, but enough that I was wet the whole time. Still better than the gym.
I also took another step towards being fully ready for the Honolulu Tri this evening. Because the start list is so huge (2,000+ registered) they had a few in-person race briefings but they also emailed out a PowerPoint race briefing. I clicked through that. Nothing fancy, nothing I didn't already know for the most part. But it was good to see. Packet pick-up is Saturday, along with body marking and bike drop-off. Its coming close. Here's a link to the briefing if you'd like to see the secret things race organizers tell triathletes.

1 comment:

  1. If you're not already, be sure that before you stand on a climb you are shifting 1-2 gears HARDER than when you are seated. It seems counter intuitive but helps quite a bit in being able to stay out of the saddle longer.

    ReplyDelete