Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Early Morning Warm-up

Swim
1 x 150- Warm-up
5 x 200- 100-5, 7, 9/100- 15 strokes or less per lap
4 x 50- Sideline kick
5 x 100- 1, 2, 3, Swim
1 x 100- Cool down

Ok, not the hardest swim in the world. I had some cognitive dissonance going on last night (when I wrote my workout) and this morning (when I did my workout). The workout I wrote was a long 3400 yards made up of the above and distance work. Then I got to the pool this morning and two things happened. One- I remembered I have a long race Sunday and I shouldn't be swimming so many yards so close. Two- I realized I was kind of sore from yesterday's swim and shouldn't stack more sore on top of it if I want to be recovered and as strong as possible for Sunday.
That kind of thing messes with my head. I hate questioning my own workouts. To add on, that 200 set is not the best way to start out a swim. It's a great set, certainly, but it sets a certain tone that is hard to break. To make the 5, 7, 9 breathe pattern successful over 100 yards, and to follow that with long strokes for another 100, one often settles into a rhythm. Couple that rhythm with the mindset of, "Ok, this is a moderately easy swim day," and you get into a slow rut quicker than you can say, "Who the hell is Michelle Bachmann and what makes her think she should be president?" So I cut a good 1200 yards off of the swim, did a few laps at a quick pace to shake the body up, and chilled in the hot tub afterward for a few minutes to relax tight muscles. It's all about mental gaming now, planning the race. The physical is taken care of. Nothing more I can do to prepare my body aside from letting it recover without sitting idle or allowing my triathlon next weekend to suffer.
This is not the end of the workout day, but I've decided due to the extreme difference in tone between my swim workout log and my run workout log to split the write-up in half. The run for today can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment