Sunday, January 30, 2011

The Taking of Pineapple Hill

Cycle Day

time- 1:56
distance- 29.7mi

First of all, I'm pretty sure this is equal or nearly equal to my longest ride of the last training cycle. I don't know if I'm encouraged by my performance or scared to look ahead. A little of both.
I sped down Pineapple Hill to start my ride, watching my newly installed bike computer to see how fast I was going (with little effort). 40! If this thing is calibrated right, and I think it is, I hit 40mph on the way down. Course, that means its nice and steep, which means coming back will be fuuuun. (I forgot to take a picture of the computer so next time. Bike is already put away.) I rode arouns Haleiwa, including a modified lap of the Haleiwa Tri course. Then its back up that hill. Oof.
Having a bike computer helps set goals. I get real time speed and distance information. So setting off up Pineapple Hill for this first time in months I thought to myself, "Ok, I'll keep the speed in the double digits. No? Ok, I'll keep it above 8mph. What? What the hell? Stupid hill." Not so encouraging, but as I get stronger I'll be able to see gains right away. That will help.
Oh, a funny thing that happened on the way to Haleiwa (theater joke!). I passed four guys on Harleys parked on the side of the road. It would be funnier if they were broke down, but they were just waiting for friends who got caught at a light. You know what? This is my story. They were riding and I zoomed by them! Yeah...that's the ticket. And I waved when I passed them.
Legs are sore, stretching and shower felt wonderful. And as soon as I got home it started pouring rain. The cycling gods were warning me for taunting Cycle Dirtbag in Portland about how nice the weather is here compared to there. Message received.

No comments:

Post a Comment