Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Lord Dirtbag (And a Short Product Review)

Swim Day (Monday)
1 x 150- Warm-up
4 x 200- 3:00
5 x 100- 1, 2, 3, Swim
1 x 500- 7:34
1 x 100- Cool down

Swim Day (Tuesday)
1 x 200- Warm-up
3 x 300- 4:30
3 x 50- Sideline kick
2 x 200- 100- 5, 7, 9/100- swim

Run Day (Tuesday)
time- 59:20
distance- 6.03mi

Remember two days ago when I tooted my own horn about swimming and being all that and a bag of chips in the pool? Well the pool heard me. Monday's swim was less than ideal. Shoulders, arms, back, it all felt tight. Except my core. That felt sore and loose. Swimmers know that a weak core will play merry hob with your stroke. Anyway, I missed all kinds of time standards. But it got did.
This morning went much better, for the most part. I made all my times, the majority of the 300 set went well and the kick set was ok. The 5, 7, 9 drill started well and halfway through the second one I got an intense cramp right along the top of the diaphragm and across my chest. Like a boss, I swam through it to finish the 200 and then hit the wall to wait it out. It never really went away and was intense enough that getting out was a better option than fighting through it. Didn't stop hurting until I was nearly to school.
As for today's run?  A low DSQ cruise for six miles. Its not strength building, but it is confidence and foot tolerance building, and that is more important to me right now. Speed will come. Just laying the groundwork.
And now for a Special Dirtbag Product Review! *streamers and whistles and horns*
Today I will be reviewing the Ultimate Direction FastDraw Plus Handheld Bottle! *more streamers*

It's the simplest thing in the world- a water bottle with a removable sleeve that fits around the hand. And the sleeve has a zippered pocket in it. The only other special thing is the bite and pull nipple. *giggle*
Handheld
I'll be honest. The first few times I saw these handheld bottle things I thought it was a silly waste of money. A water bottle doesn't weight much. How hard can it be to carry one? I've run holding a bottle, it's no big deal. As it turns out, running with water but without having to actually hold it is the greatest thing to happen to running since the invention of feet! You can relax your hand, hold it in a natural position, and it's fine. I've got two and have run with one on each hand and navigated narrow trails with no problem. Plus the strap is reflective. That way the driver who hits you can have a brief moment of confusion about the strange light before the thump.



Zippered Pocket
Most running shorts are decidedly pocketless. The armband I have that holds my phone on longer solo runs is ok for a key or an ID card/cash, but that's about it. And since its right on my arm it gets sweaty and gross. The pockets on the handheld are a great size for a key or a snack. Not so much for the phone, but thats ok because they do some many other things well.

Key, snack, tummy meds, whatever

Bite Nipple *giggle*
I'm sure this has a better name, but I'm going to get a kick out of typing "bite nipple" because I'm fifteen so there. It seals even when pulled all the way out so no matter what angle you hold the bottle no water escapes to splash all down your fancy gear, but is easy to push all the way in and pull out to drink from if you're like me and compulsively push it back down. There is a trick to getting the bite nipple *giggle* to lay half-out, which I've managed once or twice but can't really do while running yet. I'm not a black belt bite nipple *giggle* master yet. (THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!)


Overall
Buy two! Here's the link again so you don't have to scroll up. Tell 'em Dirtbag sent you. It won't mean anything to them but I live for causing those few moments of confusion (yes, I'm a teacher, what about it).

And now, for the reason behind the title of the post. Thank you, today's Doonesbury:
Just to be clear, I totally kicked the Blue Bandit's ass. And I no longer go by Lord Dirtbag. It's now Grand High Master Dirtbag of the Universe and Beyond.

1 comment:

  1. Oh grand high master Dirtbag et al... nice handcarry. I have a camelbak handcarry that works well to. ...but it doesn't have the nipple thing *giggle*!

    ReplyDelete