Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Practice What You Preach

Swim Day

1 x 150- Warm-up
5 x 100
3 x 200- 100-5, 7, 9/100- fingertip drag
1 x 500
3 x 50- Sideline kick
1 x 100- Cool down
total- 2000 yards

There was nothing intense, hardcore, or difficult about this workout at all. It was my first swim back in a few weeks and the very early start to building a big strong base for Honu training. And the best place to start base building in swimming is with technique work.
The only way to be fast over long distances is to become strong enough that when you're tired your stroke doesn't deteriorate. This is not a new claim in this space, but its going to become Mantra in the coming months. Drills, distance work, and extended speed sets will all play a roll in my preparation, but I see drills and technique focused workouts in my nearest future. In my own head I have a pretty freestyle. I ought to, I've worked hard on it. When it's clicking its long, smooth, and efficient. And when it isn't it feels like a thousand pieces of mismatched joints grinding together in disharmony, all working to create as much drag and headache as possible. This morning was not like that. It wasn't like the former either, but that's to be expected. Instead there are dozens of niggling little problems to be dealt with. My elbows are dropping on my catch, my hands aren't entering the water in a solid line, but are wavering slightly, my core is weak, my head position drops too low when I'm not paying attention, and I'm not finishing as strongly as I'd like. But the minor things are the hardest to fix. So that's what the next few weeks and months will be about: smoothing the rough edges and searching for that hydrodynamic happy place where speed, economy, and efficiency meet like happy forest creatures in a Disney movie...ok, I admit that last metaphor wasn't the most Dirtbag thing in the world. Let me try again. I'll be working on making speed, efficiency, and economy blend into a speed metal mixture of Slaytanic  proportions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment