Tuesday, November 22, 2011

30 & 30 for 30

Swim Day
30 x 100- 1:40

Ride Day
distance- 30ish mi*
time- 1:45ish**

(This post title inspired by ESPN's 30 for 30 series. You should check it out. It's awesome.)
This Thursday is my 30th birthday. To celebrate, I decided to train all things 30. Hence the 30 100s and the 30 mile* ride.
The swim set went really well. Its a long set, and boring was a big concern. Boring = letting my pace slip. To deal with sets like this I have to break it up into smaller pieces mentally. Get to 10. Now there's only five more and then I'm halfway. Five after that and now I only have ten left. Ten left? Piece of cake. And that's how this morning's swim went. I made all of them with between 12 and 7 seconds rest, averaging ten seconds rest I'd guess. And I bombed number 3, it being the last one and all, hitting it in 1:21. Not too bad after 2900 yards. I'll probably do a similar set in a few months, but on the 1:35, and then another on the 1:30 as benchmark checks. I want to be out of the water at the Honu in under 30 minutes without burning too much energy, and an occasional set like this will move me in that direction.
My ride started out well, went mostly well, and then ended with a flat tire. Lame. Luckily, it was close enough to the house that a) it didn't screw up my 30mi goal and b) Super Awesome Wife coming to get me was a quicker option than changing the tire in the dark. Of course when the tire went flat I forgot to stop my watch (**) so according to when I remembered and stopped it my ride took 4:32. And I'm guess at the distance because it's a route I've gone before, so it should have ended up just slightly over 30, but I'm not positive because as soon as I left the house my CatEye bike computer decided to have a mental breakdown and not work. So I'm going by memory. (*) I used all my technical knowledge to fix it (ie jiggling the wires, standing back, looking closely at it, turning it off and back on, jiggling the wires again) but nothing worked. I think it is jealous of my newest toy, brought to me by Dirtbag Dad. I haven't had the chance to unpack and set up yet, so I'll be giving the down low on that next week some time.
Dirtbag Fitness is headed to Kauai for Thanksgiving to hang out with the rest of the Dirtbag Clan. I will be getting my 30 minute run in on my birthday, and probably a longer on Saturday, and those will be up Monday (I imagine). Have a happy Thanksgiving. Eat lots of turkey, watch the Lions be relevant in November for the first time in a decade, fall asleep.
I leave you with pictures:
Say 'ello to my leetle fren'!

He's going to watch my back and scare off anyone trying to pass me

Newness!

6 comments:

  1. 30 min run? I think you need to do a 30 mile run! Haha. Jk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Doug, it was good to hear ya call out during my run a couple nights ago. Man, everyone spots me... Tri Cook, Sachie, now you! Brings new meaning to I can run, but I can't hide.

    I learned all my swimming from surfing the islands as a kid and also as a search and rescue crewman so I really don't know how to do the competitive stuff. I swam mostly head above the water in those days looking for my board or a victim. I am just real comfortable in super rough water. As a result I can't get my 100 under 2:00... um, more like 2:15. Okay, after you're done laughing... I have never timed myself after doing 100's. I get that time after swimming like 2000 to 3000 yards straight in the ocean. I guess I need to get into a pool and do drills... would you agree? I would like to get to 1:50 by Honu. Is it doable? Gotta factor "old age" into that.

    Oh, btw, happy birthday. I like your 30/30/30. I will turn 55 about 3 days before the marathon. Um... I don't think I wanna do 55/55/55... maybe 5.5/5.5/5.5!

    I have a garmin 310xt. You are going to love it. If you haven't already, go to this guy's review... http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2009/09/garmin-forerunner-310xt-in-depth-review.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tri Cook- How about all of my friends divide up the 30 between them and help me out. So you do 15 and Kepa does 15.
    Kepa- Here is my thought process when I saw you, "Hey, a running group. That guy looks like Kepa. It is Kepa! Should I shout at him from my car? KEPA!!!"
    And I'd be more than happy to help you get that swim time down. With proper technique we can drop that hundred pace to at least a 1:50. Maybe lower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's better to do sets of mental age instead of physical age. Ask your wife for the true value of this number. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sean- Dude! I could have knocked out, like, 12 or 15 laps and called it a morning. Is that how you're going to handle your birthday workouts, since if you don't you'll be out all day? (Ohhh, need some aloe for that BURN?)
    (Yes, I did just make myself laugh when I typed that.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooohhhh...Smack Talk! About age even! I like Smack Talk. :-)
    I think you should be prepared to beat all the "old" people--defined as those who are 3-4 age groups ahead of you--at Honu. Let's see. That would be me, Andy, Kepa...I'm sure we can find some others.
    Hmmm. Gonna be fun. (Oh yeh, it's got to be overall time, not just swim. I know you can beat us at the swim)

    ReplyDelete