Sunday, December 12, 2010

Swim at Home, Run in Texas (With a Bonus Note on Texas)

Swim Day

1 x 200- Warm-up
5 x 200 Pull- 3:15
1 x 300- 4:30
1 x 400- 6:00
1 x 500- 7:30

total yards- 2400

All I remember about this swim was I somehow got lost as far as keeping track of my times during the ladder portion (300, 400, 500). So I think I made all the times, I should have made all the times, but I was getting spacey for some reason and I'm not sure I made them. Sometimes when I'm doing longer sets my mind wanders and when I lose focus I swim slower. It wasn't even a morning workout, so its strange that I would have a harder time staying on top of myself. So that was annoying on a personal level. I should be and have been more disciplined. The five 200s pull went well though. Stroke felt long and smooth, which is the goal of these pull sets.

Run Day
time- approx. 20 minutes*
distance- approx. 2.?mi*

*I'm not sure how far this run was, and I can't remember now how long I ran for. It was just about 20 minutes but I didn't write anything down.
This was the coldest run I've ever done. When I got back to my room my phone said it was 54 degrees. Holy frozen nostrils, Batman! I know, I know, that's really not all the cold in the grand scheme of things, but you must remember I live in Hawaii. I train in Hawaii. Where the locals put on sweaters when the temperature drops to 65. 54 is freaking cold. But I came prepared. I ran in a thermal and a workout shirt, keeping my core warm. My hands, those were very cold and I ran with fists the whole time because when I relaxed my fingers the sweat hit the air and made them very cold. Cold weather people, stop laughing.
I did the first 13 minutes or so in my VFFs and then decided to go bare for the run back to the hotel. I know, I'm complaining about the cold and then I'm going to take my shoes off? Yeah. I had to try and see. I was running on clean, smooth sidewalk and if it was too cold I'd put my shoes back on. It actually felt pretty good. Running barefoot always is a unique experience and every time I do it I like it a little more. Like I've said before, it helps my form, it strengthens my feet, and it makes me mentally tougher. All good things.
I should have run again later in the weekend, but the day I was planning on running we ate a gigantic steak dinner. So instead of working out I consumed a delicious week's worth of yummy yummy calories. I was in Texas. On per diem. Duh.

Bonus Side Texas Note: I have long hair and tattoos. Texas, as a rule, does not. Wandering around the sports bar I definitely got a few long, hard looks. Much like riding the motorcycle through southern Idaho. There were a few cowboy-hatted, tight-jeaned, long-sleeve plaid shirted dudes that had a very, "Ya'll aint from 'round here," look to them. Not uncomfortable, but new. So I was sure to keep my hair out of a pony tail and down and to wear my new SAMCRO shirt when I was wandering around. You know, to make friends.
On the other hand, most of the people I met were very nice, the southern accent can be pleasant, and "ya'll" will make me giggle in my head just like a Canadian dropping the "eh"-bomb.

No comments:

Post a Comment