Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Personally, That Felt Best (AND A BIG THING)

Swim
1 x 200- Warm-up
5 x 200- 100- fist, 1, 2, 3/ 100- hard
3 x 300- 4:30
1 x 400- odd 50- easy/even 50- hard
1 x 500- 7:28
1 x 100- cool down

Run
time- 1:15
distance- 7.6mi

Swims are coming along nicely. Tuesday morning's swim let me know that the work is paying off and the stroke is coming back, though I'm still not thrilled with how my core feels late in the workout. Mixing the hard and easy intensities within the sets is a good way to really crank though, because I know there is some chilled yardage coming directly.
My run was fantastic. My out wasn't stellar, not amazing, pretty average. Went out for 3.75 miles because I wanted a 7.5 mile run. Obviously, somewhere in there I added a tenth of a mile, but whatever. Close enough for theater work. As I approached Dole I checked my watch and it said I'd been out for 46 minutes. I thought, "Well, from Dole to home is three miles. I bet I can do that in under 30 minutes. Let's go." Truthfully, I don't think I really thought I could do that. But that was the back of my brain thinking those negative thoughts, and we try not to listen to him. He's a downer. Me and the front of my brain, we were down to getting that done. I know I can average better than 10 minute miles, I do it all the time. But over the last three miles of a warmer-than-normal 7.5 miler? Not sure. It's a great time to find out. So I started repeating, "1:16" in my head and picked up my feet. I waited for my pace to fall off the whole time. I figured I would run this hard until I couldn't, then I would drop back into the normal cruise pace for the rest of the way. But I never really felt like I needed to. My feet hurt and I figured I would be paying the price with a tight AT later, but that can be dealt with. I wanted to set a goal and get some. And I did. Got home at 1:15, a minute under what I wanted. Score! Check out the splits of my last three full miles- 9:44, 9:42, 9:49. That ain't bad. And my pace for the 0.6 final was a blazing(ish) 9:32. I'm thrilled.
And yeah, sore and tight AT, but some ibprophen and the foam roller...and a Dixie cup of ice, and I'm all good now.
NOW! For the BIG THING!
Those of you around last year will remember this big thing. We are now entering the Dirtbag Zone, where gambling isn't illegal so much as it exists in a grey area. Please follow the link for more information.

1 comment: